Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed pods from cut lilies?

Posted by hyperart CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 4:55

About how long does it take for oriental lilies to get from bloom to ripe seed pod? Like, a couple days, a couple weeks?

I got some cut lilies last week, and the blooms now are absolutely gorgeous. I really want to gather some seeds from them.
I've hand pollinated the flowers between itself and each other (from other plants). I've been refreshing the water daily.

Unfortunately I have to go out of town within 2 days for about 6 days. I'm wondering if it would be okay if I just leave them in my vase during my trip. Will the flowers continue to develop until seed pods form? I don't want to lose them. :(

Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed pods from cut lilies?

The cut lilies will not have enough strength to flower and also develop seeds. If you want, buy some bulbs this fall and plant....
do you get cold enough winters for the bulbs to vernilize?
From seeds it will take a couple years before you see any flowers and a few more years to have lots of flowers on one stem, like you have now.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here