Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protection by growing in pots set in ground?

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 7:29

My order of oriental, etc. lilies is sitting next to me. Where I planned to plant them has suffered severe vole issues (my formerly successful lily planting area).
I have two ideas: one is to make cages. The other is to put the lilies in pots and either sink the pots into the ground at "x" depth or just as potted plants-at least until I can figure out the permanent planting site.

If pots, what is recommended? Clay or plastic? Any particular potting medium?
Placement in ground or above? Does it affect siting to protect plants from overheating in pots?

No one answered a different question about cages and the larger diameters stalks. How do you make a cage that allows for the stalk to exit but the voles not to get in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protection by growing in pots set in ground?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question on cages but pots in the ground might lead to rot of the bulbs due to drainage issues.

o
RE: Protection by growing in pots set in ground?

This is a response I wrote a few years ago to someone who was having problems with gophers eating lily bulbs (I have the same issues). It should work equally as well for voles (I have them too).

I plant all lily bulbs, dahlia tubers, and any expensive/rare/cherished plants in round cages made of chicken wire. I make taller cages for those plants that are prone to rabbit damage and leave about 18 inches above ground to protect the stems. I make the cages large enough to accommodate future root growth and multiplication of bulbs. The cages last on average about 3-5 years, depending on how moist the soil is, which is about the time that plants/bulbs need dividing and replanting. (Gloves are a necessity to protect hands from rusty pieces of wire.)

An added bonus is that if you decide to move a plant, the cage keeps the rootball perfectly intact. I move many things (lilies included) in full bud or bloom and they don't miss a beat.

My thoughts on planting lilies in pots is that there may be a problem with drainage (waterlogged in wet weather) or the opposite, that the soil may dry out which will stress the bulbs and possibly result in bud drop.

Oh, one last thing about the cages... I have so many of them buried in the garden that in many areas the gophers have given up trying to navigate their way between them.

Good luck with your lilies,

kms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here