Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virus and why try again?

Posted by intercessor 5a (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 7:47

Hi
I believe all of my lilies have a virus. Flecking on the leaves(tiny light specks)all over, one has various shades of green/yellowish look to it.Some have curling leaves also.
So my subject of this message is whats the point? If I destroy them all, or plant new ones, whats the point? What happens if I leave them, will they eventually die? The bigger question is if I destroy them there is no guarantee that the new ones will not get infected again. The ones I have now are not even a year old... Perhaps a bio-shpere dome over my house?

Good day,
intercessor

Here is a link that might be useful: Virus pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virus and why try again?

Oops tryn this link right to the sick lilies...

Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick lilies

o

The spots on the leaves doesn't look like virus to me. Hopefully some of the experts will come along and help. That lily looks quite healthy. Any chance you had hail? That's showing up a lot this year.

o

Hmmm, I don't think we had hail... I thought it was "flecking",they all have it.

Thank you

o

I've been told that the virus that gets DL is not a problem in zone 5 because it dies over winter. Did these winter out or are they new (perhaps from the South?)
I don't know- never had it--

You Might want to post on the pest/disease forum
Karen

o
RE: Virus and why try again?-k

Oh that is an asiatic isn't it- ok- well I've been told that they can catch a virus of tiger lily - altho the tigers don't get it themselves.

I've been told to keep these 2 types FAR from each other
Still I'd say post on the other forum- they would know more.
Karen

o

I'm no expert but that doesnt look like a virus to me. The flecking looks more like insect damage and the yellowing of the leaves is probably caused by a nutrient deficiency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here