Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barnacle type things?

Posted by ginak08 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 8:18

hello all,
i am new to this particular forum. It was recommended on the OK forum that I post my question here, as no one there was really sure about this and this pertains to my monardas and Easter lilies.

I recently (about a month ago) received some monarda plants that I had ordered from a plant nursery out of state. When I received them, I planted them in a flower bed in my front yard near some Easter Lilies. I did not examine the new plants carefully before I planted them, so I have no idea if they are where the infestation came from or not.

I have been noticing that my monardas do not seem to be growing (but they are not dying, they are still green) and also about half of my Easter Lilies stopped growing shortly after they emerged. Today, I decided to look at my plants carefully. Some of my monardas have what I believe to be some type of scale insect. One plant in particular, is much more infested than the others. Several stems are almost covered. I have also noticed the scales closer to the bottom of the plant are much longer and kind of resemble worms or white roots.

I have also noticed that the Easter Lilies that have stopped growing also have what appears to be scales on them as well, but they look different than the ones on the monardas.

I have several other plants in the same bed (daylilies, salvia, and several herbs) that so far do not appear to have been infected. yet. I have been searching the web and cannot find a scale that looks like either one. Are they in fact, a type of scale or something else?

What is the best method for getting rid of these before they affect the rest of my landscape? Is horticulture oil the best bet or is there some type of chemical (we are not afraid to use chemicals, I just want the scales dead!) that will still work in this stage? Should I just pull the plants out and start over?

I apologize, but I tried to attach pictures, however tinypic.com does not seem to be working right now (the only way I know how) so here is a link to my original post (with pictures) in the OK forum instead.

Thank you so much for any information you may have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original post in OK forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barnacle type things?

I would suggest taking a sample of each to your county extension office.If they are unable to ID it they can send it to the hort dept at the University and hopefully get an answer for you.

o

I first noticed these things on a patio umbrella I bought from Aldi. They appeared about 1-2 weeks after I bought it & put it up. I just now noticed that I have these same things on my lilac trees, but they are brown. The ones on the umbrella are white. Any ideas?

o

A photo may say more than 100 words.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here