Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilies too close! Now what?

Posted by mary_lu zone 4/5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 8:24

I dug and replanted these lilies just a year ago last fall. This is only their second spring. I can't believe how they have multiplied again! At the time I dug them I posted a message about how big the "mother" bulb was and the number of babies I got when I dug her up. Looks like I will have to do it again.

My question is, is it alright to just let them like they are for the summer? Will it hurt how close they are?
lilies as they look now...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture of "mother" bulb and a few "babies" when I dug it up in fall 2004 (notice I nicked it with the shovel, didn't expect it to be so large)
lilies blooming last summer
Marylu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilies too close! Now what?

Marylu, I just want to say your lilies are beautiful. You have such a green thumb. I also recommend you to add some fancy orientals.

o

Hi MaryLou.. the lily is obviously very very prolific. In future, when you dig and seperate, you should probably plant then yards apart (not feet apart). LOL !!

I would leave them for this season (even next if you need to). Crowded lilies do not do as good, but another year wont hurt them.

Nice to see that your lilies look so healthy. They can probably do with a good shot of fertilizer by now.

-- kenneth

o

--kenneth....hi! This is the same lily that I sent you some babies from. Was wondering how they did? Did they survive and grow for you? Sure hope so! Are they multiplying like the mama? :-)

Yes, you're probably right, need to get out and fertilize. Can I ask what kind you use? Thinking back, I doubt if I have ever fertilized these at all. ohhhh....if I do fertilize....wonder what I'll get then?
Marylu

o

BONE MEAL IS THE BEST AND MOST ORGANIC WAY....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here