Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilly question

Posted by blazepepper Auburn, 7b (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 9:28

I have planted several rows of Lillies this year. I bought them as "assorted Daylillies", or "Asst Naturalizing Daylillies". They were described to produce bicolored blooms for months from spring to fall. Anywho, they are in the ground in full sun, prob 7+ hours a day in a perinnial bed I startd this year. The lillies are now starting to bloom, some of them sooner than others. One in particular is gorgeous, huge pink and yellow bicolor blooms arout 2.5 feet tall. My question is, why does the bloom explode with color and size, then shrivel up the next day and fall off? I thought daylillie blooms lasted for a long time? Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? They sure are pretty, but I'd hate to think that each bloom only last for about 24 hours? Any tips/advice/info would be appreciated. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilly question

Hemerocallis (daylily): from the Greek hemera, "day," and kallos, "beauty," thus meaning "beauty for a day".

What you're seeing is normal for daylilies. Though each bloom lasts for a day, each stalk should have several or many buds that open for a succession of days prolonging the blooming period. In the assortment you bought, you will probably have some that bloom early, mid season and late season - perhaps some that even rebloom. That is how the marketer of the assortment you purchased could get away with saying blooms for months.

Your original intent may have been to buy Lilium bulbs. Google the images for Hemrocallis and for Lilium to see the difference.

And don't be disappointed with the daylilies - they're a real plus in any garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here