Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

Can I plant potted lilies now?

alley
14 years ago

I have some lilies that I brought back from Michigan last year (I'm in north Texas, so we'll see how that works for me). I put some in the ground and they are doing great and about to bloom. I also put one (I think) in a pot as I wasn't sure where I wanted it to go in the garden. Well, the pot has sprouted way more than what I planted, but they are all small and weak looking. At this point, they are just little leaves on the bulblets (I'm very new to lilies, but after reading on this forum a bit, I'm gathering that is what these are). There are about 2 or 3 that look like miniature versions of the bigger ones (they have a stem and several leaf sets, as opposed to a leaf growing out of the ground--don't know if that makes sense), so maybe they were the original planteds??

My question is this--should I plant them out now or in the fall? I'm not really concerned about flowers this year as from what I can gather, if they are just the bulbils or bulblets (not sure if there's a difference--they are underground) they won't bloom for me for a couple of years anyway. I'm concerned about interrupting their growth cycle. I'm also concerned by how crowded they are in the pot and know that most things like to be in the ground anyway.

I've read that it is better to wait til fall, but can be done now. They are in a pot, so I wouldn't be digging and risk breaking the stem.

I really appreciate any advice given as this is all very new to me. I discovered how great lilies look when I went up to Michigan (and through Indiana) last summer.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths