Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilly and Lilium are same plant ?

Posted by greekman (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 10:14

As a newbie in Lilly plants, if someone could inform me if Lilium is the Latin name of Lilly plants.
Today I see first time in Greek market a beautifull Lilium plant Aster Geizer (as the seller says),flowered but the cost was about 50$, so I decide to buy some bulbs or seeds (your opinion please), to grow in pots, of course seller did n't know about temperature-fertilizer-watering requirement etc of this plant.
Any help welcomed with pleasure.
thanks
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilly and Lilium are same plant ?

Yes, the scientific name (genus) for a true Lily is Lilium. I've never heard of Aster Geizer. Maybe, 'Stargazer'? If so, it is a very common Oriental Lily. I would not pay more than $2 per bulb for it. It is widely available in garden centers and big box stores.
You can find tons of info about Lily culture on the North American Lily Society web site.

o
RE: Lilly and Lilium are same plant ?

If the beautiful lily was deep pink with white edges, it was "A Star Gazer"--and it was criminally overpriced.

By now you have used Google to find out all you will need to know about growing them---you can order them and many other lilies from such vendors as Scheepers & Brent & Becky's. Visit the Garden Watchdog website to read consumer ratings of companies they have ordered from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here