Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccermomiam_gw

Princess Lily Wintering in PA

soccermomiam
13 years ago

I purchased quite a few Princess Lily's this year, and placed in the ground and in pots. I was hoping that I could dig them up and dry them to replant next year and following years. I don't know where I read that, but now it seems that i can't do that? Was planning that thinking ahead would save me a bundle in coming years.

Any help on how to keep these over the winter would be greatly appreciated, as I do really love these!!! I do not have access to a greenhouse for storage, and even putting them in the garage would most likely prove to cold around here. ( live up on lake Erie)

THANKS!

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm sorry but I don't know what a "Princess Lily" is.
    Got Latin?

True Lilium species should all be hardy in your zone.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Princess or Peruvian Lily is a common name for Alstroemeria. Have nothing to do with Lilies (genus Lilium), so this is a wrong forum to ask about them.

There are mini green-houses (individual covers for tender plants). Heavy mulching could work as well.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I was a florist for twenty years and used Alstroemeria daily but have never heard of it being called a princess lily before. Peruvian lily I would have known.....

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Google 'princess lily' BoS :)

Example 1
    Example 2

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

The name "princess lily" is typically used with reference to the newer dwarf hybrid forms of Alstroemeria that have been bred for home gardens, not the florist trade. There are some forms that are more cold hardy than others, but they are generally considered tender, semi-tropical perennials (native to coastal parts of Southa America). They are not lilies, not even true bulbs, but develop fat, fleshy roots. If you dig and dry them out you will kill them. Either grow them in containers and move/store in winter with adequate warmth and protection or search out the hardier forms and grow inground. Very well draining soil. Most are only winter hardy to zone 7, but 'Sweet Laura' is reputed to be hardy to at least zone 6, maybe colder.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Gardengal,

There are a couple of new varieties that are supposed to be hardy to zone 6: Alstroemeria Mauve Majesty
    and Alstroemeria 'Tangerine Tango' bred by Mark Bridgen of Cornell University besides 'Sweet Laura'.

I just got both of them from Brent&Becky's sale. Really hope they will survive here...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Interestingly, I was reading an article about "princess lilies" in a trade magazine yesterday. This name is really reserved for that group of dwarf hybrids I referred to above -- and they are all named for various royal personages, hence the name "princess" lily. These only have moderate hardiness - likely will not survive without special attention in zones much below 7 - so it is good to know that there is an ongoing breeding program to develop more cold hardy selections.

BorS - you can rest assured that Inca or Peruvian lily is the accepted common name for any alstroemeria :-) And since the Princess line was developed only for gardens and not the floral trade, it is no surprise you are not familiar with that common name.

FWIW, I still prefer the ligtu hybrids for amount of bloom, the bright (but limited) colors and the tall stems but they are very aggressive spreaders and nearly impossible to remove once planted.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Personally, I frigging hate common names! They vary regionally and people just make them up at will too.

Alstroemeria is not hard to say nor remember, what the heck is wrong with using it?

Rant NOT directed at anyone in this thread personally :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Bor S - I can't agree with you more :-) Besides all the variations and location-specific tags, they are confusing. Like calling an alstroemeria a lily, when it is not a lily of any variety nor a bulb and not even in the Lily family!

I think a lot of gardeners are intimidated by botanical names and feel uncomfortable using them. They are often hard to pronounce (if you are not familiar with botanical Latin), usually have a lot of syllables to work around and to many, it is like learning a foreign language. And there are so many different plants, each with its own tongue-twisting name, remembering them all can be a huge chore if this is not your cup of tea :-) And plant growers/hybridizers/nurseries realize this and tend to promote and market plants primarily by common name. Too bad, really, as using the correct botanical name will generate much better info when it comes to care and growing instructions and there is NO confusion when referring to plants by their unique botanical or scientific name.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

No one alive really knows how Latin was pronounced so no one should ever be wrong with how they pronounce botanical latin. The Klem ah tis crowd irritates me.

Even as a florist ordering cut flowers and plants wholesale half of them are offered for sale under common names and half botanical. Alstroemeria just happened to be one always offered under Alstroemeria. ;) There is an Asparagus foliage sold as "tree fern" and another as "plumosa fern" that always irritated me. Ornamental asparagus aren't ferns.

My high school horticulture teacher hated common names and identifying 100 numbered plants by latin name was our final exam.

I've always been bothered by Callas being called lilies. They are not even close to looking like lilies. How the heck did that one happen? I can understand daylilies but Callas, Cannas, Alstroe, Agapanthus, and whomever else aren't even close.......

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I do not like using common names either. Unless they are REALLY common. Like Shasta Daisy. I can imagine asking about Leucanthemum at Home Depot or local nursery :)

What I HATE are the names that were made up by some sellers. Like "Tree Lilies" used by Breck's and affiliated with it companies for Orienpets. Chris from Hallson's gardens told me a wonderful story once:

About the lily tree... I had a customer stop by asking for them. She said that one of the picture tags looked like one of them, but all we had were lilies and she wanted a tree. Said it was the latest breakthrough from Spring Hill.

"the latest breakthrough from Spring Hill" made my day...

• gardenmanya
    13 years ago

soccermomiam, I don't know where in PA you are, we have a few different zones here. Anyway,I tried a couple of hardy alstromerias, and came up we two that really survive winter in my garden. Actually in really protected well draining spot. If you are stiil interested I can give you the names. Let me know!Maria

• rocboy617
    11 years ago

Last year, I dug up my princess lilies and brought them inside for the winter. I watered them minimally, just enough to keep them from drying out. They struggled and appeared to die out.

However, when I transplanted them back outside in the spring, after several weeks, they came back to life and flourished all summer long this year. Hope this helps.

• tbenton
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am in zone 7 and winter mine in an unheated sunporch under a sky light. They bloom like crazy out there in late winter/early spring but when I take the large pot back outside they don't do well. The leaves fall off and so do the flowers and they come back but not bushy and lovely like they do in the porch. I have tried full sun, afternoon shade and morning shade areas and same result. What am I doing wrong? It gets very hot here in Northern Va and I have tried every location i can think of but they never look like they do in the sunporch.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting