Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradking_gw

Oriental Lilies Yellowing of top leaves & slow growth

bradking
13 years ago

I planted some clemintine sized orientals and asiatics three years ago in a self prepared raised bed.. The soil here is mostly grey & white clay (builder left very little top soil).I amended with purchased trucks loads of top soil, leaves and lots of compost. The Asiatics do very well, but the Orientals do not seem to grow well. After three years and lots of fertilizer Ther are many new Asisatic bulbs but the Oriental's are growing very slow and some last the season and some make it to mid May then the leaves start to turn Yellow, most never bud and last year most Browned in July but they have all come back this year. Now they seem to be turniing yellow again?! It seems I need to water every three days becasue of a maple that gows 10-feet away from the bed, it has worked its roots into the raised bed. That tree has spread a carpet across the top three inches of soil as well as larger roots below. I beleive the tree is doing its best to choke out all my bulbs, over 150 tulips did not come up this year save a few that only threw a single leaf. As much as I water the soil remains mostly dry. I dug up all the Lily bulbs, put them in 2-gallon pots with amended soil so that I could remove the maple and all it roots. What is your advice on how to revive my oriental lilies, how do I get them green again and how do i help the bulbs grow lager?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner