Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for cut flowers ... when best to cut?

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 10:38

At my folks' place, there is what basically amounts to a nursey/storage bed for plants that are either growing up or for which I have yet to find a place to give them permanent residence. The bed's location is such that it really isn't all that visible from the house -- it is at the rear end of a storage shed. So I was thinking of telling my mom to just go a head and use them as a cut flower bed. This, though, then begs the question of when best to cut the flowers for maximum indoor longevity & enjoyment.

Should they be cut just as they start to open?
After opeing completely?
Before they even start to open?

The lilies in question by the way are mainly asiatic but also a few oriental lilies [in case treatment for the two would be different]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for cut flowers ... when best to cut?

In the cut flower trade, they cut them long before the first flower opens, when even the first bud is still pretty green, but get them to open anyway as long as they are cared for properly. You can let the bulb do most of that work and cut as the first flower on the stem starts to open. Get some cut flower food (these days available in most any grocery store, and certainly at a floral shop) and use it as directed. Also, change the water often (every day would be good) and cut another half inch off the stem each time you change the water.

- Steve

o
RE: for cut flowers ... when best to cut? - additional info

Same care for both Asiatic and Oriental.

- Steve

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 07 at 18:00

Thanks Steve!

o

Thanks, Greenguy, I wondered about this too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here