Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplant

Posted by anna_lisa Quebec (My Page) on
Sun, May 28, 06 at 11:08

HI when is the best time to transplant a lily fall or spring and will it flower the year after Thank you Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplant

Depends. What kind of lily are you referring to?

Lainey

o

Hi My lilliums they are spreading and i would like to transplant some. I know its to late for spring cause they are going to flower soon. I planted 3 and now i have 8 so i need to know when to transplant. Do you think i would damage the frist crop of lilliums Thank you Anna

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Wed, May 31, 06 at 21:11

Hi Anna
It's best to plant lilies in the Fall so they can get their roots established some prior to the spring season, (excepting non cold-hardy lilies grown as annuals). While I have carefully transplanted lilies in the early spring (when the sprout is just a few inches tall) even then you risk damage. If your lilies are close to flowering - transplant shock could very well harm the buds. Even after flowering you want the foliage to feed the bulbs and make them as strong as possible for next season.

A little crowding won't hurt them for now. Just mark each with a plant stake so if you forget to transplant until after the foliage dies down you'll still be able to find the bulbs.

If the transplanted lily was large enough to bloom this year, it will bloom next year.

-Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here