Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Lillies

Posted by Kalie_Florida 9a (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 11:13

When we moved into our current house, there were a lot of lillies growing along a fence that we demolished. I dug up the lillies and moved all of the bulbs to another area in the yard. This was supposed to be a short-term solution to try and save the plants. I just put them in a low spot and covered with some soil. They are very crowded. I didn't end up transplanting them last year because I was so busy with other garden projects. But now I am wanting to move them somewhere. My question is, is there anything special that I should do before transplanting the bulbs somewhere else? There are long 2' green leaves on most of the bulbs (which have been there since I originally dug them up) but not many roots. Do I peel off any of the scales on the bulbs before planting? Should I fertilize now or wait until they get used to the new location?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Lillies

Here's my 2 cents....

I'm just starting with lilies myself, but the way I see your situation is that they certainly will not do well where they are now so you should try to transplant them.

Prepare your transplant area by loosening up the soil. Get your holes ready so the bulbs are out of the ground a minimum amount of time. Gently dig them up, don't remove any scales, replant. Water them in. If it's hot you might shade them for a day or two. I don't know about feeding, but I would wait a couple weeks for them to settle in. I bet they will be just fine.

PS Be careful not to snap off green growth.

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here