Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

My lilies are coming up [images]

shic_2006
17 years ago

Remember I asked how deep to plant these before. I decide to let them see the sun, and gradually add dirt as they grow. I bought a really deep and large pot. I reserved 9 inches from the edge of the pot. They start to come up now. It seems they turn green immediately. I donÂt know why but one of the bulbs produced two smaller shoots (instead of one large shoot).

{{gwi:1031922}}
{{gwi:1031924}}

Comments (16)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

The one that produced two smaller shoots was probably in the process of splitting when you planted it.

Lilies make lots of stem roots and sometimes baby bulbs on the buried part of the stem, but are usually planted deeply, so there is lots of stem to make roots and bulbs underground. I don't know if the plants will like having already-developed leaves buried, which is what will be happening with the way you're handling them. I don't know if they'll still make roots on the newly-buried stem or if the leaves that end up underground will just rot. Those stem roots are one of the reasons lilies should be planted deep.

Let us know how it works out!

Jeanne

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeanne,

I agree with you. I am surprised to see that they produce leaves immediately. I was expecting greenish stems. I will report their growth in the coming months.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today -

{{gwi:1031926}}

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

hi, i am new with gardening. I just bought some Lily bulbs and i would like to plant them (like in the picture above), would you be able to give me instruction?? I want them to bloom this summer. Thanks so much:)

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What instructions are you asking?

In general, they need full sun. They need LITTLE watering. I know the regions where they are originally from. Those places are actually mountainous and really dry. If the plant is strong, you may feed them. They like bone meal. The bulbs like it deep - 4" under, and cool. The leaves like it sunny, dry and hot.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1031928}}

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

I planted the stargazer bulb in front of my yard 2 months ago and they grow very slowly...they look like the first picture you have.

My question is : how to make them grow faster? yours within a month, they are already big.

thanks

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question. I hope someone could answer it for you?

I notice flower buds are showing on them now.
    {{gwi:1031930}}
    {{gwi:1031932}}

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

what type of soil did you use?? i am so jealous :P lol:)

• kat7399
    17 years ago

Wow...very impressive. I could use a little help from someone who's successfully grown lilies. I planted 6 Casablanca lily bulbs at the end of April and they have been growing just great. I had also planted some California Poppies in the planter. Yesterday I noticed that one of them is turning yellow. Any clue as to why this is happening? I'm new to any kind of gardening and any insight would be very helpful!

I've attached a link to a picture of the lilies. The yellow one is recognizable right away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilies

• kat7399
    17 years ago

Sorry, just realized that the link takes you to my entire garden file, not just the lilies. I've updated the URL.
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ha ha ha, the bears are lovely.

• kat7399
    17 years ago

Thank you...I love my bears even though my husband said that I wasn't allowed to add anymore to my collection!

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, here they are, finally blooming ...

{{gwi:1031934}}

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Nice job Shic - always so rewarding to watch things grow that you planted yourself! I especially enjoyed your close-ups - when you plant them in the middle of a garden you miss a lot of the growth stages - so it was nice to see yours.

Kat7388 - looked at your pictures, nice garden growing there - sorry I have no idea on your lily.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

More flowers:
    {{gwi:1031936}}
    {{gwi:1031937}}
    {{gwi:1031939}}

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County