Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Lily Beginnings

Posted by kangaru31 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 12:35

last night i stumbled across this tiger lily. I have not had a lot of experience with lilies in the past and i have had NO experience with lilies since i have moved to florida. i need help with them. first of all...the tag says they are tiger lilies. looking at the pictures below is the tag correct? now as far as growing them in florida i need help. is it possible to keep them as an indoor houseplant or must they be planted in the ground? has anyone had success growing them indoors? if i am indeed unable to keep them indoors what are the sun exposure requirements for when i do put them in the ground? ANY help that you can give me is VERY MUCH appreciated by both me and my new lily! thanks everyone!

burr

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Lily Beginnings

1. It is not a Tiger Lily. It is an Oriental.
2. Lilies are not indoor plants. They must be planted outdoors.
3. They might never bloom for you again. Lilies need cold period every winter to bloom. People have problems to get them blooming even in zone 8. Sorry, this plant is not appropriate for you climate zone.

o
RE: Tiger Lily Beginnings

You could simulate winter for them by waiting for the flowering to end and the foilage to die back and then dig the bulb out of the pot (I have planted lilies in my garden in their pots when I wanted to make sure the new bulbs they produced were easy to find.
Take the resulting bulbs and put them in peat moss and a baggie and freeze them for a month or more, then bring them out and let them first thaw in soil with minimal sun and generally increase the sun and temp. If you have central air, you could bring the bulb inside after it blooms and put it in the coldest room of the house while it dies back.
Lots of work but it could be done. Depends on how much you want to do this. Up north here, we have to dig our dahlias, cannas, glads if we want them to survive and find a place to keep them over the winter. I have had minimal success with this.
Good luck.
diene
By the way, I believe your lily is a stargazer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here