Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about need to separate a bulb

Posted by blc63 z7 Raleigh NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 13:53

Last year I planted about 15 bulbs (all Orientals) and of that the deer nibbled all but three or four pretty close to the ground. With that in mind, I'm not sure if the lily I have a question about is one of those that got eaten.

This year, all 15 are up and growing beautifully (thanks to my motion-activated sprinkler that keep the deer away). One in particular produced three stalks instead of one, but the three are smaller in diamter. Another lily produced two stalks instead of one, both of which are smaller in diameter.

Of the three stalks that one bulb produced, two of the three stalks have small buds forming, but the third stalk has none (and I'm not sure the stalk could support a bloom anyway... You'll see in my pic below that the third stalk is pretty puny). Of the bulb that produced the double stalk, both stalks have buds forming and seem a bit stronger.

My question is whether or not I need to dig up these bulbs in the Fall and separate them, or if I could wait another year or two and just let the bulb continue to produce several stalks?

Thanks for any advice-
Bethany

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about need to separate a bulb

When they are skinny like that, there is no need to dig and divide. They need to stay where they are, have a good dose of blood meal every year and good drainage.

There is really no need to divide asiatic or oriental lilies at all unless they are failing to thrive. But after an insult like having been eaten by a deer, it takes a year or two to recover. Most people think lilies have to be dug and divided often, but I find that often retards their growth the following year. I leave mine in place. I have a Midnight Strain trumpet lily that I planted 5 years ago. It was just one bulb and produced one stem. This year I have twelve stems, each one is over an inch thick. If the plants perform as they did last year, I expect each one to have about sixty trumpets on it. Believe me, that is a beautiful sight, worth waiting for.

Lilies take time. Don't give them Miracle gro. Feed blood meal and be patient. That's my best advice.

Lainey

o
Thanks Lainey

• Posted by blc63 z7 Raleigh NC (My Page) on
    Sat, May 27, 06 at 20:52

I appreciate the advice. I meant "divide" and somehow typed "separate"--I'm glad you answered! I'm pretty sure this was one that was eaten when it was still fairly small last year. The four that I managed to save from the deer last year are huge this year, with many buds.

The area where I have mine planted does have good drainage and optimal sun until about 2-3 pm, then it's mostly dappled shade for the rest of the day. I did give them some bone meal this year, as I am not familiar with blood meal, but I will look into that. I'd *love* to see a photo of your "Midnight Strain"--it sounds incredible!

Thanks again!
Bethany

o
RE: Question about need to separate a bulb

When it blooms, I'll post some photos. Good luck with your lilies.

Lainey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here