Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blc63_gw

Question about need to separate a bulb

BLC63
17 years ago

Last year I planted about 15 bulbs (all Orientals) and of that the deer nibbled all but three or four pretty close to the ground. With that in mind, I'm not sure if the lily I have a question about is one of those that got eaten.

This year, all 15 are up and growing beautifully (thanks to my motion-activated sprinkler that keep the deer away). One in particular produced three stalks instead of one, but the three are smaller in diamter. Another lily produced two stalks instead of one, both of which are smaller in diameter.

Of the three stalks that one bulb produced, two of the three stalks have small buds forming, but the third stalk has none (and I'm not sure the stalk could support a bloom anyway... You'll see in my pic below that the third stalk is pretty puny). Of the bulb that produced the double stalk, both stalks have buds forming and seem a bit stronger.

My question is whether or not I need to dig up these bulbs in the Fall and separate them, or if I could wait another year or two and just let the bulb continue to produce several stalks?

Thanks for any advice-

Bethany

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES