Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Help, my regal lilies are CREASING

aliska12000
16 years ago

One last week, means a lost top and three today. About 1/3 from the top like they're topheavy. They are bending down like their stems aren't strong enough, just planted them last year early summer about the time American Meadows had a sale on them.

Does that mean I need to stake them or does it bode something worse?

They are on the east side of the house and get morning sun only. The foliage looks healthy but limpish, and I buried them pretty deep, water them but try not to overdo it, they can't be dry.

Comments (4)

• hld6
    16 years ago

Trumpets tend to lean over (especially with one-directional sun), but I usually don't have them fall over and crease unless they are in bloom.

Even though Regale is the earliest trumpet yours still came up pretty early - mine are just 6" up and I'm in zone 7. Maybe they grew too fast and got "leggy". Also if they were younger bulbs they would send up a thinner stem. (Trumpets have much large bulbs than other lilies, so if they looked like a good sized bulb compared to your orientals they were probably small for a trumpet.)

You don't want to encourage fast growth in a trumpet so I'd cut back on the water. (Because of their bulbs lilies are pretty drought tolerant.) I don't water my lilies at all unless we are having a bad drought - and I've never had problems with them being too dry. This spring has been pretty wet so there should be no need to water them.

Because trumpets are tall, have a lot of buds, and have large blooms they will usually need staking - even with ideal growth conditions. So it is unlikely that there is anything worse you have to worry about. (Be sure to tie them up near the blooms or they will fall over and crease at the top tie.)

-Helen

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Helen. They don't have any buds yet. They were up before the deep freeze hit, and I covered them with heavy plastic. I think maybe they came up early because they are tucked into a corner between the outer lr wall and bricks from the fireplace, who knows?

What should I tie them with?

Incidentally, I planted some Aubaude (sp?) (white with the yellow stripe down the center) today from Gilbert Wild which may not be a good source. One was squishy, so I knew that was no good, they said they would give me credit for it. They looked yellowish but were firm enough all but the squishy one. One had a little mold on it so I picked off the scale. They are in front facing south.

• hld6
    16 years ago

You'll need tall stakes because you have to have your last tie close to the cluster of blooms at the top. I've used 6' hardwood stakes from Lowe's before, but recently I've been using bamboo that grows on a slope near my house. By collecting it yourself you can get pieces as long as you want. Since Bamboo is invasive in a lot of areas there may be some park that needs clearing. You could also use wooden dowel from Lowe's cut to size. I've never priced that though.

I use a plastic translucent green tape for tying - that I get at a local nursery. It's smooth and stretchy so it doesn't damage the plant. I tie the plant loosely to the stake, the idea isn't to make it ramrod straight - just to keep it from falling over.

-Helen

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I picked up some bamboo at HD just to have on hand, it might work, but it's kind of skinny. I saw some thicker ones for $1. I hope that's where I got it. Thanks about the tape. I'll check our local nursery for some. I could also have the hardware store cut me some more rebar I got to hold chicken wire cages in a circle. That stuff is really strong. I guess if you can push in the stake deep enough, it doesn't have to be that strong. I'll try that bamboo I have first.