Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redrumed

Newbee to Lily - Please give advice

redrumed
15 years ago

I put in one lily last year and LOVE it, looks and smells so nice. This year I got more, and purchased bulbs from B&D Lilies. How would you plant them. All together, in groups of three's (got a couple 3 pack's)Do I plant is shade, part shade, sun , full sun?

I want to make sure I do it correctly so they come back next year.

Thank you very much

Comments (8)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Good drainage is the most important thing. In most cases, full sun to light shade works well. Asiatics do better with more sun, Orientals often like a little light shade. Lilies can become an addiction.

• redrumed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should have posted what I got. I got a 'grab' bag so all I know is:
    2 different ASIATICS (6 bulbs total) June/July bloom

3 different purebred TRUMPETS (9 bulbs total) July bloom

4 different ORIENTAL-TRUMPET (Orienpets) Hybrids (12 bulb total) July/August bloom

4 different purebred ORIENTALS (12 bulbs total) July/August bloom

I think I am getting addicted, they are so pretty and smell so nice.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Not all Lilies are fragrant. Mostly Orientals and their hybrids and Trumpets. You can find tons of useful info about Lilies on North American Lily Society web site. Good luck with your new babies!

• redrumed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all very much. I made sure I put them in a place w/good drainage. I also planted them in groups of 3's in a triangle (all the same kind)
    Can't wait to see what they look like

• redrumed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was reading thru all the lily posts and I think I made a HUGE boo boo. I placed them around a garden bench, thinking it would be a nice place to sit and smell them. Do they really get over 5 feet tall?? Do you think it will look okay and if not can I move them eventhough I just planted them? I love to garden but I always seem to put flowers in the wrong place :(

• alina_1
    15 years ago

They will not grow to their full height this year. Besides, I think only Trumpet and Orienpet will reach 5'. Asiatics and Orientals will be probably 3-4'. The height greatly depends on sun-shade situation as well. So do not move them now. Make some research on the height of the particular varieties you have. The best time to move lilies is fall.

• outinthegardenallday
    15 years ago

Hello Newbee to Lily and welcome to what will undoubtedly become a wonderful addiction. When I was new to lilies, I handled them gingerly as if they were porcelain dolls quite frankly. I've come to realize that they are much hardier than we realize. Case in point - my brother and sisterinlaw just downsized from a large home to a condo. I planted almost every single lily in the yard - these were birthday presents to my dear SIL. I was not going to leave the bulbs and dug up almost every single one of them (this is in April). I put them in a pot (no soil -just the bulbs) and put the pot in the basement. Well...as sometimes happens, life took over and I forgot the bulbs! By the time I got to them, about two weeks later, they looked really bad. But, ever the optimist, I planted them in a mixture of potting soil and good old garden dirt.

All of them have come back...each and every one of them. I'll keep them in the pot this year and will overwinter them there as well. I might just keep them there permanently. The older I get, the more I find container gardening to be my first choice.

Your lilies will bring such beauty to your garden that I'm sure you will end up buying more and more. I caught a sale at B&D last year - I bought some Casa Blanca bulbs that were as big as grapefruits. Got them into the ground too late (mid-May) but they did fine. I can't wait to see what they're going to do this year. There are many fine mail order retailers out there. I always use Garden Watchdog too - do a Google and you'll go right to the site.

Ciao,
    OITGAD

P.S. Here is a picture of Golden Splendour - second year. I put her into the garden two years ago - last year she was almost 6 feet high and this year she sent up another "volunteer." You've got to love a plant that keeps on "giving" back!

• redrumed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soo pretty!! Also, only some lily came up that I planted, is that normal or if they are not up will they not come up?