Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning &/or Transplanting Asiatics

Posted by webeishere MN (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 18:22

I planted 9 Asiatic bulbs 2 yrs ago. There are now over 20 growing. When & how is the best time to transplant/thin them out? I planted 2 apple trees & am thinking of setting a few around one of them as I have an area of 8 ft X 8 ft to use up. Is this a good idea? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. What a superb site here also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning &/or Transplanting Asiatics

Don't thin or move them until fall. You will interrupt their "food" cycle and they may not return. If you plant them under an apple tree, make sure they get enough sun. They need at least 6 hours of dappled sunlight in order to bloom well. Also they'll be competing with the tree for nutrients, so you'll have to feed them very well with bone meal 2 or 3 times a season.

Is it well-drained soil beneath the apple tree? If not, lilies will not do well. Then tend to get smaller and smaller until they just fizzle out unless in rich, well-drained soil.

o
RE: Thinning &/or Transplanting Asiatics

Its very well drained soil. Ive got a few Irises there that have thrived for 3 years. The trees are only 6 feet tall so I plan on having the lilies there for just 2 years till they spread a bit more. Im going to give it a shot. Thanks for the info Botanybabe. I feed them 2 times now with bone meal as it is. So thats not a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here