Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Lily bulbs on sale now

Virginia
17 years ago

Will they bloom this year if I plant them now? The ones I planted last fall are about 6" high now. I've found some really good prices on the internet, but I'm afraid that it's too late to plant. I'm in a Virginia suburb of Washingon, DC.

Thanks,

Ginny

Comments (11)

• chemguynj
    17 years ago

Hey....wherz the sale?

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Yeah, pls tell us :-)

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

i would like to know too. I just bought 12 pcs candy cane, prettypink though. I will try to plant them and see what happens

• moonrays101
    17 years ago

She may be talking about American Meadows...they have a spring bulb sale going on...70% off

• stormys_mom
    17 years ago

Isn't is to late to plant the bulbs now?

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

No. But it may be too late to get blossoms. I just planted eight bulbs. I'm sure they'll come up and make food for next year's plants, but not sure they'll bloom. Probably not. But we gardeners always live for next year, don't we?

Lainey

• hld6
    17 years ago

Orientals might bloom since they're a late summer lily. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself since I couldn't resist the sale bulbs either! :)

I figure that instead of thinking of them as "too late for Spring", I'll think of it as getting a head start on Fall. Then if I get blooms it will be an extra luxury.

-Helen

• csrliz
    17 years ago

I bought Lily bulbs last year off of Ebay. It was prolly June, late, and they bloomed. They were small, but they had flowers. This year they came up like gangbusters.(I've resized this pic to 25% size, but it is still too big-grrrrr)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

My lilies from American Meadows came with many having long and VERY curving necks already. That was at about three weeks ago. I wouldn't want to order any of those bulbs (Regal) this late.

If they haven't srouted much, it shouldn't be a prolblem; if you don't get flowers this year, you will by next year.

I had to put mine on the east side of the house which is not going to be a good thing; I'm afraid I will have to move them to some new space in the front yard that has now been tilled so that they will get more sun, but I'm not going to disturb them now, will wait until next spring.

• prubo
    17 years ago

I can report that I ordered "Regal" lily bulbs from Brent and Becky at the time this first post appeared. They came within a week and I planted them right away. 5 of them, planted in a group among peonies and lilacs, have sprouted and now have buds! The other 5 (sadly), planted in a similar position on the opposite side of my deck stairs, have not appeared at all. I must assume they have rotted in all this rain. Not sure at all what the original difference was in the planting sites. I thought I had treated them equally.

• hld6
    17 years ago

Hi prubo,
    They didn't necessarily rot, so don't give up on them.

I also ordered from the Brent and Becky's sale, (Speciosum Album, Triumphator, and Scheherazade). I planted the 5 Scheherazade bulbs in a 14" pot filled with potting soil. Four came up beautifully, but one...nothing (mind you they are all in the SAME pot). Recently I CAREFULLY repotted them, because the four that grew were starting to get crowded in their one pot, and I wanted to move them before their roots got too entangled. Surprise, surprise, the "nothing" bulb looked very healthy with a large number of new plump white roots growing from it. Sometimes when a bulb is stressed by transplanting it responds by taking a season off. So I have hopes for it to perform well next year.

In your case, Regale is renowned as an easy to grow species. I have a bunch of Regale - some planted in better and others in worse (even much worse) conditions. they've all grown, though some took longer to come up. If you think the conditions are bad in the one garden, you might want to carefully dig them up (they have no foliage to damage just be careful of any roots that might have formed) and repot them in some potting soil either in the ground or in a pot where you control conditions.

Regale is beautiful and the earliest trumpet lily (mine are finishing up now). Wait until next year, yours will be stunning!

:)

-Helen

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH