Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newly potted martagon not showing

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 19:39

i bought a martagon bulb and a black beauty in mid-march, and potted them up to get ahead. i got the martagon because i'm growing some from seed, and this one was to give me hope. the black beauty came up fast and is already tall, but the martagon hasn't shown.... should i check it in the pot to see if it's alive, or just wait till it's time to plant it out at the end of the month?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newly potted martagon not showing

Hello,

Even in the garden, they will sometimes sulk for a year before coming up and blooming. I'd plant the bulb in the garden and let it establish. It may or may not come up, but as long as you obtained a bulb from a reliable source, it should be just fine.

Good luck!

Riz

o

Yes. My bulbs took nearly 2 years to show themselves above the ground! It was a nice surprise, because I'd given up on them.

o

Well that's reassuring! I planted my first martagon last year and haven't seen a peep of it yet and was getting worried. But a question, can you plant them too deeply and them not show as well? I'm such a worry wart!

o

I planted some Martagons about three years before I saw any sign of them. Okay, so they aren't in the most optimal spot, but boy was I surprised this year when these gigantic plants started emerging!

Usually I buy my Martagons "already started" from Klehm's Song Sparrow, but now they have gone to just sending dormant bulbs, too. Mrs. R.O. Backhouse is a positive gorilla of a Martagon, far more aggressive than the species.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here