Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrel broke off top 3 inches of emerging Oriental Lily

Posted by ptwonline 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 19:53

So I have a newly planted Salmon Star Oriental Lily and a squirrel broke off the top 3 inches--2 inches out of the ground, 1 inch below. Snapped it right off.

So what now? Will the lily recover on its own, or is there something I need to do at this point?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrel broke off top 3 inches of emerging Oriental Lily

The growth tip is gone so it won't flower this season. Might push out more stem and leaves though. Disappointing, but let it go through its normal cycle because whatever remaining stem and leaves will be needed to feed and replenish the bulb for next season - the browning stem in the fall will also stand as a reminder as to where the bulb is and to cage it or take other preventative measures against squirrels, rabbits, etc. early next season as the lily first emerges.

A real setback, but the bulb itself will be fine if left as it is.

o

Ok thanks

:(

o

Same here...Mine had grown about 18" but something just clipped the top 3" off. Can't say for sure what it was but it was so strange to see that. I'll leave the remaining growth for making food of course, but no flowers from that stalk!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here