Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need reply fast!!!

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 20:10

I'm trying to plant some Oriental lily bulbs I got today and it's gettng dark so I hope I can get a fast reply. Two of the bulbs have mildew on some of the scales. Just in one or two places on each. Should I plant them as is? Should I remove the mildewed scale? Scrape the mildew off? Help!
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need reply fast!!!

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Fri, May 26, 06 at 17:16

Ginny,
I've never had mildewed bulbs, but I know bulbs can lose a few scales without ill effects. So if you decide to pull them off that would be OK.

More importantly, is the basal plate firm? The basal plate is where the scales attach at the bottom of the bulb, and where the roots grow from. Lilies can suffer from basal rot.

-Helen

Does anyone know if bulbs can safely be soaked in dilute bleach solutions? (That would kill the mildew - and is used with lily seeds - but I'd want to be sure it didn't harm the bulb before I tried it.)

o
RE: Need reply fast!!!

Sometimes the anti-fungal powder that the nursery puts on the bulbs looks like mildew.

If your bulbs actually have mildew, it should not significantly hurt them unless, as Helen says, the basal plate is affected. Even then, lilies are survivors.

I've planted several lilies that were slightly mildewed with no ill effects. It doesn't hurt to take a chance, your only other alternative is to not plant them, and have no chance for lilies at all. Given that option, I'll plant every time.

Lainey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here