Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunnies have eaten all the leaves

Posted by mary_md7 z7MD (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:08

The baby bunnies born in our yard and growing up in our woodpile (we think) have eaten all the leaves off my asiatic lilies. I've put down blood meal and bought some chicken wire that we'll use to surround them.

Is it likely the stalks will grow taller and make more leaves to absorb energy to feed the bulbs for next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunnies have eaten all the leaves

Rabbits can be devastating to lilies. There's not much hope for taller new growth this year. Keep whatever stem and leaves you have (as is) 'till Fall when they go dormant. it won't kill the bulb, but your plants will be smaller next year. You'll have to install a chicken wire or rabbit fence because it's either the bunnies or the lilies, the two don't mix. Rabbits can also spread plant viruses when they go from plant to plant munching along.

o

So very sorry....I feel your pain. I loose lilies every year to rabbits. I try and surround most in chicken wire and that helps. But, last year the voles ate the bulbs! I am no longer adding lilies to my garden. I love them so much, but can not fight Mother Nature. Lesley

o

This is my first year at this house and I've been busy planting new beds. 3 days ago I planted two Asian/Oriental lilies. They are at their mature heights and have lots of buds.

We have several resident rabbits who've eating my blackeyed susans and purple cone flowers as new growth comes up. We are making progress on these by spraying deterrent and covering plants with little cages of chicken wire.

Question: should I quickly make a large cage to cover these two lilies? Or because they are at mature height will they leave them alone? Two large cages will not be an attractive thing!! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here