Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freddythomas

I'm looking for a place where I can get Lilium lancifolium

FreddyThomas
9 years ago

I am looking for a very specific flowering plant that my grandmother had at her place when I was growing up. �She always called it a "Tiger Lily". �

As I have researched this plant, I find that the term "Tiger Lily" doesn't narrow the searched much on Google. �I found something that I thought was what I was looking for (the "Lilium Michiganense"), but didn't quite fit. �I do believe that I finally found the one I'm looking for - it is called the "Lilium Lancifolium". �

I remember Grandma's Tiger Lilies growing 5 feet tall or taller and they were�gorgeous. �They were a rich orange with dark spots (deep brown). �

[I'm going to try to dig back into my high school science and try to name these parts (with the a little help from Google). �I may get the names wrong, but here goes.] �

The part that generates the�pollen�(anther) are quite long and medium to�dark brown. and they had long stigma and stamen (which nearly dripped with moisture).

Another one of the unique features that I remember were the dark brown "seeds". �I find that they are called "bulbets" (or "bulbils").�They were in the most odd place. �They appeared at the base of each leaf where they attached to the upright stem.�

I recall the stem being dark (kind of deep maroon). �

The leaves (which were a rich green) were staggered up the stem.

There appears to be several variants of this lily and I'm really not interested in the variants. �I'm hoping to find exactly what my grandmother had.

I would like to find out where I could obtain some of these bulbs. �Can anyony help?

Comments (5)