Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red carpet border lily question

Posted by treasureforu NC 7 (treasureforu@yahoo.com) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 22:25

I just bought some flowers from Spring Hill nursery that are called Red Carpet border lilies and are listed as being a groundcover. Does anyone have any idea if these will spread? Seems to me if they work like most bulb plants that they might spread like a daylily but would not spread like a true groundcover. Any ideas? I just need to know so I can figure out where to plant them.
Thanks!
Oh, and my experience with Spring Hill is not horrible but not sure if I will use them again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red carpet border lily question

Spring Hill and affiliated with it Breck's are among the worst online vendors... Check out their ratings on the Garden Watchdog. Reputable sellers always list scientific plant names, not made up names.
What they sell under the name of Carpet Lilies are Asiatic Lilies. They are definitely not a groundcover. Asiatics multiply quickly, so you will have bulblets growing around mother plants soon. You can transplant these bulblets to other parts of your garden. If you will not transpant them, old and young bulbs will form a clump; they will not spread. You can divide a clump every two or three years.

o

I've had bad luck with plants from Brecks, bulbs have always been fine if you aren't expecting anything fancy. They are cheap :) I have some of these, & as Alina said they are Asiatics that behave exactly as stated. Pretty & fast multipliers, definitely not a groundcover.

o

I would not say that Breck's and SH's bulbs are cheap (even with their $25 off coupon). It is not a low price for small dehydrated unnamed Asiatics. You can buy fresher bulbs at any big box store in February at significantly lower price. Or, really nice named Lilies at Van Engelen/John Scheepers' at about same price.

o

OOps! I had posted a reply to this post but I guess that it didn't get posted. I am fine with having to divide the plants myself and I am glad these aren't a true groundcover because many of those can be a nusiance. So can I divide them next year? Do you happen to know if hycinth would be the same way or will I need to let those bloom twice before I divide them?

Thanks for the great responses. I don't plan to use Spring Hill again because I have found more local resources. I know they have many complaints against them. Guess I got lucky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here