Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
last1earth

Do double flowered forms exist? -or only single?

last1earth
18 years ago

Hello! I was wondering, I have only seen lilies single flowered, do they ever have double flowers? If so, which varieties do? Thanks

Comments (9)

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Yes there are doubles, off the top of my head there is Miss Lucy, Aphrodite, Fata Morgana, Double Prize.

• RWH9
    18 years ago

In double forms there are the following.
    Orientals :-,Miss Lucy,Double Prize,Double Price,Double Surprise,all are reputed to be sports of Marco Polo and are very similar.
    Asiatics :-Aphrodite (pink),Fata Morgana (yellow) and Sphinx (red).
    There is also a variety called Elodie,this is also pink,I'm not sure if this is an L.A. or Asiatic,some people say one and some say the other.
    Rich

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

....and don't forget the double tiger, flore pleno.

Susan

• thebotanist
    18 years ago

We have this beautiful double wit and pink lilly that was a gift from Roy Davidson at UW. It bloomed for the first time this year. Can anyone identify it for me?

http://munrosnursery.com/DoubleLilly.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Lilly

• thebotanist
    18 years ago

Please excuse my spelling! I believe this is a Double Prize lily. Does anyone agree?

• azngrnthumbs
    18 years ago

It could very well be ´Double Prize´, but it could also be ´Miss Lucy´which is suppose to be a ¨sister clone¨. The latter was more widely distributed last year. I´m glad to see your double oriental lily opened so nicely as my first year bulbs last year were somewhat mediocre and kind of messy with browned tepals.

As for other double lilies, many new introductions are inundating the market and they´re usually of the Asiatic type. Some people have mixed reactions towards doubles, but I think they´re fascinating and are wonderful addition to the garden as it´s something absolutely different to look at!

The following sources should have some doubles in their lily listings for fall planting:

www.thelilygarden.com
    www.dutchbulbs.com
    www.lilypadbulbs.com (I saw they have ´Double Prize´)
    www.johnscheepers.com
    www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com

Best of luck!

Riz

• KayLakeMan
    18 years ago

I don't have Miss Lucy, but your lily sure looks like my Double Prize.

• hoff_quality_first
    17 years ago

Dear readers,

Double Prize, better known in the spelling 'Double Price', has been identified by three different tests, including two DNA tests, as equal to 'Miss Lucy'. Miss Lucy has been discovered by John Blay, who received the breederÂs rights for this double oriental lily August 4th 1999. December 7th 2000 Hoff Quality First received the sole right to introduce and multiply this variety.

Last year in Holland we have found illegally grown Miss Lucy, also being sold under the fancy names Double Price, Double Prize and Double Pleasure. The producer of this variety has destroyed his crop after our legal actions. A note of this can be found on the www.copf.org website under 'news' and then 'Lily Infringement'.
    Herewith I would kindly like to ask all readers, in future, to refer to our beautiful Lily as 'Miss Lucy'.

If any of you would have information on companies selling Miss Lucy under fancy names, I would be very much obliged if you could contact me.

Yours Sincerely,

Pieter Hoff
    Director of Hoff Quality First

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Lucy Website

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

Mr. Hoff et al,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can only imagine the excitement this plant caused when it was first discovered in your trial beds. With that excitement comes the marketing opportunities that growers will dive into. Based on the plant descriptions I've read regarding 'Double Prize/Price', this was marketed as being close to "the more expensive 'Miss Lucy'".

This is certainly a fascinating lily cultivar even though I'm currently not having much success with it. My source for these bulbs, Van Bourgondien, supplied me with nice, flowering size bulbs. As the grew and flowered that first summer, I was disappointed in how it opened and the plant itself was somewhat weak and showing signs of virus. All the other lilies I had in that same bed grew beautifully.

I'm looking forward to new introductions of double flowered Orientals in the near future. A few years back, I dreamed of introducing the first double-flowered Orienpet, but with the great advances in lily breeding techniques, it won't be too long until we have these fascinating plants in our gardens.

Thanks for your time!

Riz