Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Successive blooming

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 0:09

What are the chances that I could plant a wide range of various lilies that would provide successive blooming year round? I'm in z10 and have successive ripening fruits, why not lilies? I have a great patch of calla lilies, and planted Oriental Lilies for the first time, and now I'm totally hooked. I'm willing to fudge a little and fill in some of the gaps with lilly-ish flowers. Where are the gaps -- in the dog days of summer/dead of winter?

These lilies are the best cut flowers on the planet, and the family is really enjoying them as center-pieces on the dining room table. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Successive blooming

First callas are not lilies at all, despite their name :-) They are members of the Arum family.

Second, you may have some issues with the warmth of your zone inhibiting good lily ("true lily', genus Lilium) growth. They need a cold dormant period and it is suggested they be chilled each year before planting.

But......if you are willing to just accept the term "lily" as just part of the common name and not adhere to true lilies, you may very well get a serious extended bloom period.

You may need to do some research on exactly when these may bloom for you in your frost-free zone and plan accordingly. I'm not sure you will get year round bloom but with care, I bet you get a good 8-9 months. Note - some make better cut flowers than others :-)

Amazon lily, Eucharis × grandiflora
African lily, Agapanthus africanus
Arum lily, Araceae
Belladonna lily, Amaryllis
Blackberry lily, Belamcanda
Blood lily, Haemanthus
Calla lily, Zantedeschia aethiopica
Corn lily, Veratrum
Cornish lily, Nerine bowdenii
Daylily (or Day lily), Hemerocallis
Easter lily, Lilium longiflorum
Fawn lily, Erythronium
Ginger lily, Alpinia or Hedychium
Guernsey lily, Nerine sarniensis
Kaffir lily, Schizostylis coccinea
Lent lily, the wild daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus
Lily of the valley, Convallaria majalis
Natal lily, Clivia miniata
Paradise lily, Paradisea
Peruvian lily, Alstroemeria
Pineapple lily, Eucomis
Rain lily, Habranthus, Cooperia and Zephyranthes
St Bernard's lily, Anthericum liliago
St Bruno's lily, Paradisea liliastrum
Sand lily, Veltheimia capensis
Spider lily, Crinum: Hymenocallis: Lycoris
Swamp lily, Crinum pedunculatum
Water lily or waterlily, Nymphaeaceae (aquatic plants)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here