Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hld6

Elegant Lady? Not! :(

hld6
16 years ago

Hi All,

The "Elegant Lady" I ordered this spring from Dutch Gardens have bloomed, and while they are quite lovely it appears they are not actually Elegant Lady.

They are an LO, but they are taller than EL gets, and their color is not quite right. EL, which I already have from an Brent & Becky's purchase a few years back, has a very smooth pale pink with bluish highlights (not qite lavender) color and a pearly sheen. The older B&B plants match the Dutch Garden photo very well. It's too bad the Dutch Gardens plants don't match the Dutch Gardens photo.

The lily I got looks like a paler Triumphator - mostly white with a blush of pale pink in the throat. The color texture also looks like Triumphator, not smooth, but almost like someone used the side of a pastel on rough paper. The color in true Elegant Lady is smoother and covers the entire flower.

Oh well, it's a pretty lily, but it's a shame it's not Elegant Lady, which is otherwise not for sale in the US. (I believe the Dutch growers have discontinued it.) The Lily Nook in Canada had it for sale last fall, but it is more expensive and I'd have to purchase a phytosanitary certificate in addition to the shipping.

Well, here's hoping The Lily Nook offers it for sale this Fall. If not, I'm digging up one of my EL bulbs and scaling it.

-Helen

Comments (7)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Hi Helen,
    It looks like you got 'Prince Promise'. Probably, I got them too, because I also ordered 'Elegant Lady' from Dutch Gardens, but they did not bloom yet. I will post a picture of 'Prince Promise' I received from B&D for you to compare (tomorrow most likely). 'Queen Promise' looks almost identical to 'Prince'. I wonder if it is also mislableled :(
    They all are beautiful of course, but I want what I ordered...
    Alina.

• hld6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah Alina, I was thinking it looked like one of the "promise" lilies (pink, prince, or queen's). It is actually quite nice, but in the way of most LO's, with a somewhat more flaring bloom. Elegant Lady is more like a traditional Longiflorum - but with a beautiful pink color. And, it blooms early. (Consistently by the first week of June for me.)

Here's hoping The Lily Nook still has it for sale this Fall. No more wining about the phytosanitary certificate from me! :)

-Helen

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Helen,
    These are my LOs.

The one on the left is suppouse to be 'Queen's Promise'. It is slightly darker and more open.

Please ignore the date :-)

Close up of 'Prince Promise'

• hld6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, looks just like what I got. Even though they're not what I was looking for, they are really very nice - so I guess they're "keepers"! I have them in pots out front and Neighbors passing by are really impressed by them and their scent.

Queen's Promise and Prince Promise are both Longiflorum crosses with the LO Pink Promise so, like Elegant Lady - a Longiflorum X (Longiflorum X Rubellum), they are strictly speaking LLO's. But the Promise LLO's seem to show more of their Oriental heritage with more of a flare to their blooms. They're a little taller than EL and bloom a couple weeks later - so they'll be a good addition to my quest for "continuous lily bloom" in my garden.

They are all beautiful, and I'd be less disappointed if I was sure I could still get Elegant Lady. I'm hoping it's offered by The Lily Nook this Fall - so I don't have to count on my amateur scaling efforts to get more of it. :)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos Alina!

-Helen

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Helen, I like these Lilies too. I can only imagine how beautiful 'Elegant Lady' must be if you want it so badly :-)

Alina.

• hld6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know if it is more beautiful (the LO's are all lovely), but it fills a niche the others don't. It blooms very early for a fragrant lily. Since I like scented lilies and don't have much garden space I don't grow many asiatics.

Without Asiatics, the time between my spring woodland flowers and my summer blooming lilies are pretty much bloom free - except for EL. EL is my first lily of the season. It blooms for me at the end of May/Beginning of June (a couple weeks after my Lady Slippers are finished). It's shortly followed by L. Regale (the earliest Trumpet) in mid-June.

We'll have to see if our "mystery LO's" bloom earlier next year (once they've had a winter to reset their clocks). If this is their normal time they'll make a nice complement to EL.

I also ordered a new LO "Pink Heaven" from Brent and Becky's this spring. It looks like it will be blooming soon - but again it was spring planted so it might be earlier next year. The picture they had wasn't very good so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.

-Helen

• alina_1
    16 years ago

You have a good point about blooming time. I am still new to Lilies, so this info is very useful for me and other newbies. Thanks for sharing!
    The fragrance of these lilies was a pleasant surprise for me. The scent of Orientals is somewhat strong, but LOs smell heavenly!
    Alina.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor