Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found a Lily growing wild .. what kind?

Posted by MzMolly65 8B (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 1:40

Hello all,

I'm new to the board and have a question for anyone experienced in Lilies.

I found two of these growing wild in the ditches, no where near houses. They stand about 3ft tall. Very fragrant. Flowers are approx. 1.5 inches, bright yellow with reddish brown spots.

Either the bulbs were so small I couldn't see them or they were much deeper than I thought but neither one came up with any bulb. I'm hoping to propagate them using the leaves.

Please see attached pics. Would love to know more. I have my suspicions as to what species they are but waiting to hear from others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found a Lily growing wild .. what kind?

I believe this is a wild turk's cap lily (lilium superbum). I would love to know if these will propagate from leaves, please post success rate. Thanks, Kat

o

I "think" they might be Lilium columbianum .. common wild lily in my location according to most of my internet research. Here's two of the links that I looked at,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_columbianum

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LICO

I planted the leaves on June 24th and 4 days later, they are still strong and healthy with no signs of wilting, so I'm praying it's working.

o

Adding ... I looked up the Lilium superbum you suggested and based on the photos and description, the one I found doesn't have the green centre like the Lilium superbum

There's an awesome picture of the green centre at this link
http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/plants/lilium.htm

The ones I found are yellow/orange all the way to the centre and so is the Lilium columbianum.

o

Not sure where you live, MzMolly, but if you live where L. columbianum is native (and it does look like L. columbianum), then it cannot be L. superbum anyway. L. superbum is not native west of the Mississippi River.

Many (most?) wild Lilium species in the USA are protected by law. In many states if protected lilies grow on your own land, you can do as you please, but it is against the law to dig or pull them without the landowner's permission, if it is legal at all. (You would have to check your state's DNR listing for the species.) Fortunately L. columbianum is one of the more common western wild lilies. I don't know if it is protected where you pulled it or not. But some lilies are rare, and a hefty fine would be imposed (and rightly so!) if caught digging or pulling them. In fact, some are becoming rare BECAUSE people are digging (read: poaching) them!

So next time, maybe the better thing to do is photograph an unknown flower, and find out what it is before uprooting it.

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here