Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire lily and Easter lily questions

Posted by topie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 3:03

I've never posted on the lily forum before, but we are having an issue with an old lily this year that was planted by the previous owner of our house, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I believe the lily is a Fire lily (Lilium bulbiferum). I've noticed recently that the bottom leaves on the stalks/stems are turning yellow. These yellow leaves fall off easily if you just brush your hand against them. I've never seen this lily in this condition before in years prior.

The rest of the lily looks perfectly fine as usual, and it's starting to form flower buds on the top. The lily is about 5 to 6 feet tall at this point.

This May and June we had a tremendous amount of rain, and less sunny days than than usual for late spring in the Mid-Atlantic region. Could the excess rain be causing the yellowing? Is there anything we should do about it? Or should we just ignore it and see what happens?

Also had a question about planting an Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum) outside. A family member gave us recently her Easter lily and asked us to plant it in our garden. When she gave it to us last week, it no longer had any blooms and the leaves were in the process of turning yellow. Is this normal for a "forced bloom" Easter lily that was purchased in April?

Right now, the Easter lily is just sitting outside in the container it came in. Should we plant it in the ground now? Or wait until the fall? Or should we keep it indoors in a sunny location and plant it outside in the spring?

Sorry if these questions seem so basic. Just not that familiar with lilies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire lily and Easter lily questions

I always planted my Easter Lily outside when the leaves died down and the ground was warm. It would look terrible the first summer, but always bloomed in the following years.

o

Thanks for the info... I was concerned because the Easter Lily looked so terrible. I guess it's just going into its dormant stage earlier this summer than our other lily, because it was forced into bloom in time for Easter. We'll plant it outside soon and keep our fingers crossed.

The lower leaves on our Fire lily are looking a little better this week, so maybe it just needed some normal summer weather after all that rain we had in June.

Thanks again,
-topie

o

I can't think of a reason why it would be bad to plant your Easter lily now. If you get the chance do it on a cloudy, drizzly day.

o

Can I save the lily bunch inside? how? I can keep it in the dark at 75 degrees, but does it need some moisture? I live in Phoenix, very very hot now, but the other lily I planted came back in the spring. Can I separate the parts next fall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here