Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant?

Posted by wittyraven 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 3:43

I bought a few lily bulbs last month with every intention of planting them right away. But I'm in AK and we had some surprise frost among other garden emergencies and I just never got the chance to plant them(first year growing a large amount of plants on a new property and I have a 2 year old who likes to "help" lol). Anyways, just wondering if I can still plant them and get blooms this year and if not what should I do with them to preserve till next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant?

Lilies don't store well - they never go fully dormant - so planting them now is the preferred choice. You have a short but very intense growing season so there is a possibilty of bloom this season although I wouldn't count on it. But if they are Asiatic lilies so should come up and bloom just fine next year. If they are orientals, they are probably not hardy in your climate. I might consider potting these up and growing them on in a container. Then they could be stored in a protected location over winter.

o

Okay thank you! I will go ahead and plant them in a pot then. What size do you think I need if I planted 3 bulbs in container?

o

If it's an Asiatic, try for a container big enough to plant them 10-12" apart.

o

LOL!! You don't need it that big :-) We pot up thousands of lily bulbs each season at my nursery - 3 bulbs per 1 gallon container. They can be quite close but best to have them not touching (actual size depends on size of bulb - premium sized bulbs typically demand their own individual container).

You can space them out a bit more when you do plant in the ground but even that's not really necessary. Lilies grow tall and skinny so they don't take up much real estate. And they look better in clusters than they do dotted here and there. Just keep the bulbs from touching each other in the ground and you are good to go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here