Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing lily beetles

Posted by vtandrea z4 VT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 7:40

I read somewhere on the web last year that a solution of 1 part ammonia in 10 parts of water can be used to kill the lily beetle larva. You soak the soil around the plant. Having tried Bayer's Rose & Flower systemic and Sevin at different times with little success, I'd like to give this a shot before giving up entirely on lilies. The foliage is now so disfigured, I almost avoid looking at them. My question is: when would be the best time to use this solution? In early spring just as the lilies are emerging? Or after the blooms have gone by? Which gives a better chance of killing the larvae?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing lily beetles

How often are you appllying the Sevin. I use it and spray about every two weeks. It sure got rid of them for me.

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 14:21

Google "lily Beetle" (with the quotes so it searches as a phrase).

Here's one link, but there are many more.
http://www.rcgardens.ca/factsheets/factsheets/neem.html

-Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: lily beetle

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 16:47

Great links. Thank you. Been doing some research myself. Unfortunately, just got hit with them this year. Rats.

o

I encountered them for the first time as well this year. I don't recall having them last year. From what I've read they started in Massachusetts.

Joe

o

My "fancy" lilies are covered and all chewed up. I called the local garden centre and they recommended 2 products

1. Wilson's Bug X
2. Target Neem This is an organic product.

My husband scraped the larvae off with a pocket knife. It didn't kill them but at least they are off the plants and I will pick up one of the above products tomorrow.

This is the first year we have grown lilies other than day lilies and the "Tiger Lilies" that seem to grow wild around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here