Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grays lily & Wood lily

Posted by Stacette 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 8:19

Does anyone have a source for this lily. I know it is rare and protected in NC but I was wondering if there is a legal source for it? Also looking for a wood lily ... I have found a source for it but it is in Wisconsin wanted something closer so I would not have to pay shipping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grays lily & Wood lily

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 14:39

Hi Stacette,

I looked on the web for Gray's lily. What a beautiful flower!

Fraser Thimble Farms listed it for sale last year. (http://www.thimblefarms.com/sbulb3.html) Their 2005 plant list will come out in July. They were't cheap ($7.50/bulb) but you could buy one bulb that you use for scaling and get a lot of lilies, (as long as you don't mind waiting for them to mature to get blooms).

Also the Boston Natural Areas Network "City Natives Nursery" sells both of the lilies you are interested in (in 1 quart pots) though it looks like it is "pick-up" sales only. (http://www.bostonnatural.org/nursery_catalog.php) Got any friends in Boston?

You might also want to contact the Species Lily Preservation Group. They have a page on the North American Lily Society website (www.lilies.org) just click on the link "Lily Societies". They hold a bulb sale every Fall for their members and make seed available. They have a list of their officers with contact info. Maybe they can tell you if they are going to offer the lilies you're interested in this Fall. Membership is $12/year. Depending on the cost of bulbs and the number you were planning on getting - this might mean a net savings to you.

-Helen

o

Helen,

thank you so much! I searched the web and could find nothing. There was a one page article in Carolina Gardening a month or so back on Grays Lily.

o

Here I ordered two from them, it's not Grays lily but it's wood lily snd it's in north carolina so maybe they still have some left by the way they are expensive but at least it's in North Carolina. Good luck. Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood lily

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here