Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Gazer Lily not growing taller

Posted by catherinemn Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 11:06

I planted a potted star gazer lily last fall. It emerged from the ground in early May, but for the last 3-4 weeks has not been growing any taller...it is only approx. 6" tall. Do you know what the problem could be? Is it possible the soil is too compacted and maybe I should work up the soil around it? I just don't want to damage the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Gazer Lily not growing taller

Potted Lilies are treated with chemicals to suppress growing (shorter Lilies easier to store and sell). Also, the bulb could be small. Next year it'll be fine. Do not cut the foliage until it will go dry and brown.

o
RE: Star Gazer Lily not growing taller

Have you had a lot of rain? I have a lot of established lilies, and some of my orientals, notably the Stargazers, are unusually short. I do have some that are only four inches to a foot, with a single bud. Since for me nothing has changed, I am wondering if somehow all the rain is responsible. It would be interesting to know if other people are having this problem. I have much fewer buds on all the lilies this year, with the exception of my Orienpets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here