Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replanting after disease

Posted by opheliathornvt 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 11:17

I grow a lot of lilies - mostly orientals and asiatics. Last year my Casa Blancas looked diseased and this year they either aren't coming up at all, or are small and mottled. I have to dig them up and throw away the bulbs, but want to replant in the same place next year. I was planning to add several inches of compost and topsoil to the area before replanting, but I wonder whether I'll just have the same problem next year if I do. Do I need to plant something different there instead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replanting after disease

You can replant in the same spot. You must make sure you remove ALL of the bulb and roots of your deseased bulb(s). Virus is a plant only issue. Soils do not carry virus.

Something to think about is why and how your plants got deseased in the first place and then try to remedy that. When you add your new compost and soil make sure it has good drainage properties and avoid compost which may contain animal manure unless it is VERY, VERY well composted. Do not over fertilize, which can damage and weaken the bulbs, making them susceptable to deseases.

o
RE: Replanting after disease

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not really sure why the lilies became diseased. Possibly it's because our soil is wet and lilies aren't supposed to grow well with wet soil, but I haven't had that problem in other garden areas that are wetter. Perhaps because Casa Blanca is an oriental rather than an asiatic. I'm pretty sure it isn't over fertilization, but I appreciate the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here