Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
URGENT, is it too late to plant lilies in zone 5?

Posted by aliska12000 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 11:50

I know it is preferred to plant them in the fall, but I can't wait because I need them for erosion control on a hillside bordering some steps I just got poured. We will be filling it back in on the sides with some soil mix and I read lilies are really good for hills.

Also, I have some odds and ends I can plant mixed in with them, anything to get something going ASAP besides grass (don't want that) so the fill soil won't wash down to the sidewalk which it will if it rains, then I'll have to scrape and shovel it back up as best I can. We will tamp it down as best as possible and also would it be a good idea as a temporary measure to put some bricks and stones at intervals until some plants get establised?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: URGENT, is it too late to plant lilies in zone 5?

I've never heard of lilies being good for erosion control. However I have heard of daylilies being good for erosion control. And, yes, they can go into the ground now.

Ciao,
OITGAD

o
RE: URGENT, is it too late to plant lilies in zone 5?

It is fine to plant your lilies now. Put some mulch around them to slow down the rain & that should help some unless you get heavy rain. I can't picture your slope but if you think it needs some bricks use them. Daylilies once they grew would help at the bottom of a slope. It all depend how low your slope is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here