Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are Calla lilly (and bulbs) so expensive

Posted by steelskies 5A (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:51

I just got interested in these. I think they're so interesting, but they are so expensive. Can anyone suggest the best place to buy the bulbs from. I'm assuming it is too late to plant bulbs now for flowering this summer. I am not familiar with these plants at all. thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are Calla lilly (and bulbs) so expensive

• Posted by mori1 5/6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:33

I usually just wait for the one ones in the store to go on sale or trade with someone. I'm hoping the ones that survive last year drought will bloom this year.

o

I love them too. try some seed. it takes a couple of years, but so much cheaper....and fun..

o

Callas right, not cannas?? Callas, Zantedechsia species, are not lilies - they are members of the Aroid family. You might want to check out that forum for additional details.

Colored callas are all hybrids so may not breed true to form from seed.

I'm not sure I understand why you consider these so expensive. They are selling online for $15 for a bag of 5, which in my area is a pretty standard price for most summer flowering bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here