Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lillies

Posted by gailee East Tn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 11:56

can some one tell me the difference between day lilies and liliums. and also are there any repeat bloomers in the lilium family? what are asian lilies? thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lillies

Daylilies have a mound of leaves at the base and the bloom stalks (called scapes) are leafless and smooth, branching out into flowers at the top. Thye grow from a wide-spreading fleshy root system. You will generally get lots of flowers opening sequentially, each flower lasting a single day. There are lots of reblooming daylilies.

Lilies (genus Lilium) grow from bulbs and the stems have lots of small leaves all the way up the stem to just below the flowers. Each flower lasts several days or longer. I don't know of any reblooming lilies - you get one set of flowers each year.

- Steve

o

True Lilies do not repeat, they bloom once a year. Some varieties have high bud count, so they can bloom for a longer period.
You can read about Lily Culture here
and about Lily types (Asiatic is one of them) here

o

Thank you so much, that does clear up a lot of confusion. But adds to my lists of wants. L.O.L I do appreciiate your help,Steve and alina, I had picked up liliums by mistake the other day. I did not notice until I got home now I will be looking for more. Thanks again,Gail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here