Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulbs vs. plants (roots that look like a plant)??

Posted by luvtogarden09 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 12:09

I moved inot my house in the summer of 06. The original owner was an avid gardener and the woman we bought it from let everything overgrow :O( I have a ton of what I believe are lillies. I have been working on getting the garden back into shape and dug up a bunch of them. As I was separating them and transplanting them I noticed that some were bulbs and others looked more like they were just roots and some even looked like tubers. Are these all lillties? Different types? Which is which??

I think I have another kind of lilly as well - it's one stem with spikey type leaves (as opposed to the others that look like grass). The bulb of these looks kind of like a bulb of garlic. Are these lillies or am I totally confused?

This is my first home and I love to garden but I'm young and still learning. Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks bunches,
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulbs vs. plants (roots that look like a plant)??

lilies have bulbs. the tubers might be cannas or calla lilies, which are not lilies really. the grassy ones without bulbs are daylilies (hemerocalis). the ones that look like garlic - are either orientals or asiatics (they have one strong stem with narrow leaves). if you got smth that looks like a bulb with sparsely attached sep cloves, sort of more elongated along the stem - that's easter lily(big white trumpets, also strong stem, spikey leaves). this site has a good info on lilies of all .
kindshttp://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilygen.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here