Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mislabelled peach/cream asiatics: any idea?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 12:18

I bought these packaged as being "Commander in Chief," a red lily, at HD this spring. Obviously they are not. I potted them (rather than planting them in the garden, because I have bought so many mislabeled lilies), planning on seeing what they really were, first. (Have I finally learned something ?!)

They ARE pretty, though, so theyre a keeper. I have something very similar already, which I think is called Toronto: that has more of a raspberry tinge, wider petals, and more substance to both petals and leaves.

I put all 6 in one 10 inch pot, though, because they were well sprouted at the time. I hope they can hold out until ripened before I put them in the garden.

Any idea what it could be? Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you have two loaves of bread, sell one and buy a lily - Chinese Proverb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mislabelled peach/cream asiatics: any idea?

They look like LA Royal Sunset to me.

o

Here is a photo of my Royal Sunset. I love it.

Royal Sunset

I would certainly keep them. Just keep watering the pot!

o

Dont LA lilies have greater than average substance, and thicker leaves? I have a couple that I think are LAs (which also came mislabeled, from another source). This seems just like an ordinary asiatic to me, in terms of thickness of petals and width of leaves, thickness of stems unless first year is different? Is Royal Sunset orange at tips, too? Mine is definitely raspberry at the tips, moving to deep peach, then to golden cream towards the center.

o

My Royal Sunset isn't orange at the tips. It's Hot Pink as shown and then bright orange inside. The colours in my photo are true to life in my garden anyways.

o

Looks like 'Rosela's Dream' to me. The color is just more of a pinky blend, whereas 'Royal Sunset' is more of a south pacific sunset blend--exactly as 'swontgirl's photo. Both plants are virtually identical in size, shape, appearance and multiply rapidly. Bloom size, shape and petal texture are the same and both hold their color well, even in full hot sun and I'm very happy with both. You mention 'Commander in Chief'. It color fades rapidly--turning an anemic transparent pinkish color by late afternoon in full sun. It's a big plant--mine are a good 5 feet, a rapid grower,it flowers very early, but the color is just not stable. You are wise to pot plant 'big box' bulbs for verification!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here