Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Red tiger lily: what conditions do they like?

I stopped at an out of state nursery on my way back from a trip. They had several different colors of what they called "tiger lilies". I have lot of other lilies (asiatics, orienpets, LA, etc), but no tiger lilies. I don't know what really makes a tiger a tiger. They had marked, "Orange tiger", "pink tiger", and "red tiger". I had never seen a red tiger before. All the other potted lilies they had were well marked with variety names, which looked pretty accurate to me. Only the tigers had these vague names, not a specific variety name. Or maybe this is as specific as it gets?

I did not "need" another lily, but loved the color on this. The light differences in the photos are from taking them in evening and morning light. The color is deep true red, with very small spots. Leaves are very narrow, much narrower than even asiatics.

I do not know what light and soil conditions these like. All my other lilies are planted in full or part sun. The small flowers would not show to advantage against the big blooms of the hybridized ones, so I'd like to put these elsewhere.

I have a shady area under some trees where I would love to put these, if they would tolerate it.

Thanks!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm