Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Was it too wet this spring?

Posted by lceh 7 Central VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 12:52

I have some asiatic lilies that have been gorgeous for a couple of years. Last year -- a drought year -- they were spectacular. This year, however, they have far fewer blooms, and one of them started losing its leaves from the bottom up. We had quite a wet spring -- is this related? I assumed the drainage was okay since they've done well for a couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Was it too wet this spring?

Based on what my lilies did in response to near record rainfall, sounds like it could be a possibility.

o

Similar to my experience. Some of my asiatics lost their buds and the leaves got all twisted at the crown. Anyone know of anything to help the bulb for next year?
George

o

In spite of the rains, mine are great, but my beds drain very well, too well sometimes. Where I amended the soil with peat and compost last year, those are fine.

The only ones not doing well are the Easter and Regals on the east side, they are under the overhang, didn't bloom worth a darn and lean so much I have to stake them. I think I need to give up there. Years ago my son treated the soil with something supposed to kill everything for 5 years. That could be part of the problem in that area plus a huge pink double crab is sucking nutrients out of the soil. Those I may have planted too deep according to something I read, fearing coons and squirrels would get them, not been a problem. The tips don't seem eaten at any stage but something has weakened them. Mixed in a tsp bone meal in the bottom when I planted, I guess you can scratch it in the soil from the surface, best wait until fall plus I'm afraid that near the surface will draw something. No deer probs so far but could show up. They are close by in the park and saw one down the street about 1-1/2 blocks crossing.

I've used Miracle Gro regular, Osmocote and more recently before it got too hot, did I get that far with the liquid kelp or not, can't remember, think so (waited too long if anything between apps). Sure seems to have helped the ones in front but too hot to apply as a foliar now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here