Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lily planting time?

Posted by adilhoxha (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 14:09

New to lillies - saw these 'Garrit Zalms" on sale from Vesceys...just wondering if I should get them with my order.
https://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/springbulbs/lilies/specialtylilies/lahybridlily

1) Should/can I plant lily bulbs in my zone 5/6 garden in late June early July? Or should I be storing them for fall planting?

2) Anyone had any experience with this particular type? Just curious...

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lily planting time?

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 18:16

In general,

The best time to plant lilies is in the Fall, the second best is in the spring, anytime in winter is OK if you can hack the ground up, but the summer is getting dicey. It gets more dicely the colder the zone since they've lost their spring growing and confront an early winter.

Now, if they're cheap enough it's worth the gamble.

What you definitely DON'T want to do is buy them and hold them. Lily bulbs never go truly dormant - and these have probably been out of refrigeration for awhile anyways.

If you buy them now put them in the ground immediately so they get as much growing season as possible to produce leaves and photosynthesize for awhile to build up the bulb before they go dormant for the winter. To make things even better remove any flower buds that form so all the plant energy can go into the bulb. Late planted bulbs have artificially late bloom and late blooming lilies don't do as well in cold zones. They'll "reset" next year and bloom on time.

-Helen

o
RE: lily planting time?

Thanks...we'll give it a try and see what happens... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here