Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mac_girl_81

i am planning to buy Lily's food. What brand is the best?

mac_girl_81
17 years ago

my lilies grow so slowly...i need a boost. Please advise what brand sells that best lily's food.

thanks

Comments (7)

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

The best lily food is blood meal and bone meal. It does not matter what brand. Your lilies will also benefit from a drink of water with epsom salts in it, 2 oz per gallon of water. Stay away from chemical fertilizers with lilies.

Lainey

• chemguynj
    17 years ago

Although I use blood meal to keep away deer and fertilize, I was unaware of epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) for use in plants. I will incorporate it in from now on. How often do you add the solution to the plants? Once per month? There seems to be quite a bit on the web about using epsom salt in tandem with nitrogen and phosphorus uptake in plants.
    Thanks,
    Joe

P.S.

Any homeopathic approaches for voles, moles and chipmonks? Juicy Fruit gum is what I've been using.

• chemguynj
    17 years ago

Although I use blood meal to keep away deer and fertilize, I was unaware of epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) for use in plants. I will incorporate it in from now on. How often do you add the solution to the plants? Once per month? There seems to be quite a bit on the web about using epsom salt in tandem with nitrogen and phosphorus uptake in plants.
    Thanks,
    Joe

P.S.

Any homeopathic approaches for voles, moles and chipmonks? Juicy Fruit gum is what I've been using.

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

A good drink of epsom salts water would benefit them about every three weeks to a month, as you suggest.

I hadn't heard about juicy fruit gum for moles and chipmunks. If it works I'll use it. It's cheaper than the bobcat urine I've been using.

Lainey

• chemguynj
    17 years ago

Hi Lainey,
    I put an unwrapped piece of Juicy Fruit gum near areas where voles dig. After a few days you can see that something has consumed some of it. Last year it seemed to get rid of them. Google "voles juicy fruit" and you'll get some more info from others. Seems like a cheap solution. I don't know if it works for chipmonks.

Joe

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

Thanks Joe, I plan to look it up as you suggest. I'm wondering if it works for mice, there are some out in the garage and they've got to go.

Good luck with your epsom salts.

Lainey

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

Interesting about the gum: I'll have to do a "rabbit test". I wonder if they hate the smell or get it stuck in their teeth (LOL!). I use spearmint gum in the pantry for flour moths: worked better than anything else I tried. They don't have to be unwrapped: just the foil wrapper left on. The kids loved this solution. I was always seeing them walking out of the pantry chewing. So I tucked the sticks in my clothes closet for wool moths too. Harder to tell if that's working.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living