Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with the lilies problem

Posted by nat4b 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 15:43

This spring I found something strange on my lilies. They are orientals. On one almost all the leaves fell off, and on another the leaves became that kinda reddish brown color, and recently they also started to drop.
I was suggested that it could be botrytis (sp). I gathered all the leaves from the ground and discarded, and I had to cut one stem because it looked dead. The inside of it was hollow.

Here are the pictures
P6058927

Closer
P6058928

The one I had to cut
P6058930

Now, my question is - I see lower leaves on some other lilies getting paler, plus those infected ones grow right next to seemingly healthy ones. Could they get infected too? What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with the lilies problem

Looks like botrytus to me - a cold, wet spring will do that. It's a normal occurence in nature. But it's a fungus that lies on top of the soil (important to clean up any deceased debris). The bulb isn't slowly being killed. The bulb is capable of going through its normal cycle - replenishing itself with what's left of the stalk and any of the leaves you don't cut off, but it but is likely to have fewer flowers next season.

Seems you've got a lot of things there - maybe the air flow is being restricted and plants stay wet. I might move a few things and give them all a bit of space.

o

Thanks Duluthinbloomz4!
The spring was cold (and hot) but not wet. The brown leaf one is looking bad, I think I'm gonna cut that stalk too.
The way they are crowded - I had NO idea they would multiply so fast. I never dealt with bulbs and I don't know how to transplant without hitting the other bulbs with a shovel :s I have some lilies that have way more room around them, yet they have those dying leaves too.

o

Does not look like bortrytis to me at all. Late frost damage? Drainage problem? I have something similar happened to my Martagons this year, and I have never seen it before. You cannot have bortrytis on only one lily in a clump, while others are perfectly unaffected. It spreads like wildfire in a clump.

o

Does not look like botrytis to me, either. My guess is environmental stress (probably heat). If the plant continued to die, it might also be bulb rot.

o

I agree it is not botrytis. Around here we have problems with the European corn borer burrowing into the stems of lilies, causing this exact problem. The borer will create a small hole under one of the leaves to get inside the stem and then tunnel right up or down the middle of the stem. You will see borer poop coming out of the hole but no other sign until the stem does this, and then the stem will often fall over as it will be hollow inside.

Fortunately they don't usually show up in large numbers and when I see this I just break off the stem and kill the borer inside. If I see a lot of them I'll spray with a systemic insecticide.

Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here