Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Are these bulbils?

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

First time I have ever seen this on any of my lilies. Are these bulbils? I just planted the bulb in May and when the stalk came up with the buds, these were all over it.

Julia

Comments (7)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

You've got it! Some lilies form bulbils along the stem, many don't.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you hostaholic2. I was trying to google some articles to read on how/when to replant those but it seemed vague.
    My understanding so far is that if you take these bulbils and replant, they will produce more lilies (in time) of the mother plant. But when/how do you actually take these off and replant?
    Thanks
    Julia

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Sure are, but don't bother to remove them because they'll just fall when mature. You have time to pick them up because they don't grow right away.

Put pots around the stem to let them plant themselves if you want them in pots, transplant seedlings, or just let them be. I've found them sprouted on top of gravel & easy to put in pots at that point.

I have some from summer '09 I moved to pots kept outside & are still small. A bit larger for the in ground planted ones, but no blooms yet. I've read it takes years, but I have no idea how long.

I still find the sprouts in the spots where I've had the large pots. There could be hundreds of them if I bothered to move them all over the years, but I don't. Deer like 'em & don't eat them every year. After frustration last summer I have moved them all to the fenced backyard except for a few in the back of the border stuffed full of other plants about 2' from the house, so hope the deer won't go there.

Deer come to eat them right before the blooms open, so beware of that if you have deer.

In my climate lilies often do better in the better drainage of pots, so I have some in pots & some in the ground. I like that I can move the pots in & out of display. I dislike the foliage after blooming on Asiatics & tigers. I don't mind Orientals as the fall color is an accent on the patio.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

You can remove them any time now; they come away easily and you may even see a tiny white root "foot" sticking out of where they were attached to the leaf axil.

Many of them will just fall naturally around the mother plant and work their way down into the soil without any help. Do you know what lily it is? My true tiger lilies are prolific bulbil producers and look just like that. If it's Lilium Lancifolium (L. Tigrinum, the true tiger lily) they'll all sprout - next spring you'll see what look like shiney lanceolate blades of grass. Pretty difficult to transplant at that stage. Best to take the bulbils and plant them where they can stay undisturbed until they reach the blooming stage - which is usually 3-4 seasons.

If you want to take them off now, it's okay since they would be dropping and planting themselves naturally very shortly anyway. They tend to start to shrivel if you try to store them unplanted too long.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the additional info. Helps a great deal on how to plant these. Bulbs I understand. Bulbils is something new for me.

Julia

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Sorry, I haven't been back for awhile. You recieved good advice from duluthinbloom and Corrine1. Yes tiger lilies are very prolific bulbil producers. I have a few others that produce some bulbils, I suspect there's tiger lily genes in there somewhere but have never taken the time to pursue that.

• kprp
    12 years ago

I've got two asiatic lilies throwing off bulbils like crazy. They are:

August Ruby
    Robinson's comet

I lofe both of these small but sturdy Asiatic lilies.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County