Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westchestergrower

Stella de oro Lily trouble...

WestchesterGrower
18 years ago

Hey guys/gals,

I recieved a daylily from Gurneys 2 months back or so. At first the leaves were coming up very well. They got up to around 4 inches, but since then it hasn't grown at all. I don't know what I am doing wrong. It gets full sun up until 2PM.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Comments (14)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

Stella D'oro is a daylily; try posting this in the daylily forum for more pertinent advice. I had always thought Stella was pretty tough, as you see it in industrial parks, commercial sites, etc, where it doesn't get any coddling. I assume you've looked into watering, soil preparation, etc? I know from my daylily experence that if the soil is too hard any plant will suffer. When I move my daylilies around I pulverize the soil very well and add lots of peat moss and sand so it cannot pack so hard again. Are you having drought?

• WestchesterGrower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Linnea,

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a sub-forum.

The soil is pretty loose and even though we did not have much rain lately, I have been watering during dry spells.

Thanks..

• RiverLiver
    18 years ago

The daylily is its own special beast and really not a lily at all. It is a Hemerocallis, with the nickname of daylily because the flowers resemble lilies and each flower only lasts a day before it sputters out. So everything about it is different from the lilies that would come up on this forum. But once you have been in the daylily forum, you will know that it has its own fanatics (like me) who will be glad to tackle the problem for you.

I actually am one of the few people I know that had trouble with the Stella. I had lots of daylilies at my old bouse that were beautiful and grew well in a dappled sun, mostly shade condition. They just didn't increase or spread very fast. The one exception was my Stella = it got maybe 2 flowers a year and then sat there. But it was right in front of yews and got very little sun. While the others adapted, I think the Stella just loves to bask in the sun - which is why it does so well at Burger Kings and schools and places that are wide open. Sun doesn't sound like a problem for you, though. But try this on the daylily forum discussion and see what other feedback you might get. And to learn more about why daylilies really aren't lilies at all, try the American Hemerocallis Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Hemerocallis Society

• WestchesterGrower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info...I will have to post it in daylillies forum.

• von1
    18 years ago

HAVE YOU PLANTED IT TO DEEP? I USUALLY DIG A HOLE AND MAKE A MOUND IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. SET THE LILY ON TOP OF THE MOUND WITH THE ROOTS SPREAD OUT ALL AROUND IT. WATER IN WELL, THEN COVER WITH WITH SOIL. ITS BETTER TO PLANT THEM A LITTLE HIGH. THEY WILL ALWAYS PULL THEMSELVES DOWN TO THEIR DESIRED DEPTH. THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR YEARS. GOOD LUCK
    VON

• mamoo_z5
    18 years ago

Your Stella seems to be getting established. It might take it a little time to settle in but it should be much better next year. The above post about not planting too deep is great advice & should be remembered concerning all daylilies. Keep your Stella moist & she is one strong daylily & should take off for you soon. My Stella's take a rest during July & don't do much but again near the end of Aug take off blooming like crazy until frost. Hang in there & your Stella will do good.

• one1rose
    16 years ago

Hi,
    My Stella d'Oro plant blooms well June & some of July. Then it gets "pods" on some stems. What are the pods for? Should I cut them off?
    Thanks

• chloecleome
    16 years ago

They are seed pods. The plant is putting all its energy into trying to reproduce. Cut the stems that have finished blooming to the bottom and soon you should have new shoots with buds.

• one1rose
    16 years ago

thank you for the info, will cut them today.

• amree1_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have had my three Stella de oro lily plants for 6 plus years. Their first bloom this year was good, they have not bloomed since. I have cut back the stems and paid attention to watering. Leaves are green, everything looks normal, but no new blooms. I have never experienced this before and would like to comment and/or feedback.

• kprp
    12 years ago

I had trouble with Stella too and pulled mine up and threw it on the compost heap. It didn't bloom all that well, and when it did, it wasn't pretty.

Get yerself some REAL lilies, that's what I tell people ha ha.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

I was just about to ask what do you do when the blooms are done and you have all those pods.....If in cutting them way back, will they bloom again this year or wait until next?
    Also, when is the best time to divide?
    Thanks for any help.....

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

If you mean the daylilies, I usually snap off the seedpods as they form and then cut the scapes down to the ground. As for Stella's not re-blooming, are they in an area where they get plenty of sun or do they get sun until trees leaf out? If so, that might be the problem. Also Stellas (and most rebloomers )benefit from division every 3 or 4 years. You can pretty much divide daylilies anytime. Cut the foliage back to just a few inches and keep watered.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus