Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do stargazers stand up straight?

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 16:27

I planted the Stargazer 2 years ago, and it has bloomed, but I'm not sure if it's ok in its location. It is now over 7' tall and has fallen forward across the flower bed. I had to put a stake in the ground to prop the end up so it does not lay down to the ground. It has 8 buds. Is that an average number of buds?

I would call the location "partial shade," getting a few hours of sun in the morning.

Obviously I don't know a lot about lilies, so thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do stargazers stand up straight?

Are you sure that you have Stargazers? Stargazer is an Oriental Lily. The average height is 3-4'. I've never seen them much taller than 4'. Definitely not 7'. Can you post pictures?

o

Hi Alina, thanks for posting. Here's a picture of the lily. I just assumed it was Stargazer but don't really know. You can see where I have it propped up with a stick; otherwise it would be lying on the ground. It's grows from the back of a shade garden, so maybe it grows so long reaching for sun?

lily

o

Probably reaching for the sun and probably not 'Stargazer' as they aren't this tall even in shade but many Oriental Hybrid Lilies look similar to Stargazer and many think they are all Stargazer. :) A nice stake will work wonders. I have the same problem in my yard that doesn't get full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here