Houzz Logo Print
leslie197

Lots of early lily season pictures

leslie197
16 years ago

Comments (8)

• anitadehoff
    16 years ago

Just lovely, I needed that visual lily fix. What are the last two? Also, I see that you have some shade perennials for companions (hostas, ferns, astilbe, varigated solomon's seal) How much direct sun are your lilies getting? Thanks so much for posting.

• leslie197
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Both are LA Hybrids. The more orangish one is Kiss Me Kate and it was listed in the catalog as a "Magenta-pink with glowing yellow gold star shaped throat", but it goes through many color changes and mostly looks pretty much like this most of the time. It can't stay magenta for more than a few hours! Pictures at Dave's looke exactly the same as mine. The other one IS more red magenta and fades to a slightly pinker orange. It is also very changeable in color and always has at least 3 shades (not always compatible colors) in the same clump. It came in a package of Mixed LA Hybrids from Dutch Gardens with no name, but is very similar to KMK.

The LA Hybrids seem to be the most vigorous type of lily in my garden. The pale pink one in the third picture is also a LA Hybrid. The clump was started from one bulb in 2003 as was the clump in the last picture.

As for the shade plants, I grow a lot of asiatics in part shade but they do not multiply all that well. I replenish them by adding a few each season. I really like the effect with things like ferns, hostas, etc. You don't need a lot of lilies for this to work well and garden visitors go crazy over them. It's such an easy thing to do. I grow them in a narrow garden on the east side of the house. At the south end of this east garden the lilies do just fine. They get morning sun and at the most south part get a couple of early afternoon hours. At the north end they peter out & I replace them as they get low. I use the asiatics not because they like the shade, but because they are shorter and more in scale with the mostly short plants in this narrow garden.

However, I also have Regal Lilies and Black Beauty Lilies at the north end of this narrow east facing strip and they both do great in the shade. They get very little sun, just a few a.m. hours at best. Both kinds have to be staked.

The LA Hybrid clump in the last picture is on the outside edge of the west side of a low-growing very dense crabapple tree. Under this tree is my small "woodland" garden with trilliums, epimediums, maidenhair ferns, dwarf goatsbeard, shooting star, may apples, etc. While the "woodland" garden is in heavy shade, the lilies get bright light most of the time and afternoon sun. The LAs on the east side of the house do not multiply as much as the ones here or the 4 other clumps which are in full sun.

BTW, I do not fertilize any of my lilies at all, except for a whole-bed topdressing with bagged humus and manure every couple of years.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Leslie,
    Your garden is beautiful as always! I am glad you answered Anita's question because it was my question also :-)
    Some of my Lilies:

Longiflorum-Oriental Hybrids

Orienpet 'Touching'

Unknown (mislabeled) from American Meadows. If anyone can identify it, that'd be helpful!

Midnight strain

{{gwi:34365}}

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Love these lilies. I can't even say which type I like better than others. I have them all for long blooming season and of course the intoxicating fragrance.
    Leslie, what is that third one from last? Very pretty form.
    Alina, your photos are gorgeous. Wonderful photography. That NOID yellow has a very pretty shape. Striking, I should say. They all look very healthy. Love them.

Thank you both for posting.

Here are some of mine:
    {{gwi:255992}}
    {{gwi:236038}}

• leslie197
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gorgeous flowers Alina and Pitimpinai!

Alina I just love your LO. I only have a couple of those, they have a tendancy to die out in my garden, but so pretty. I do have Touching, but it won't be open for awhile yet.

Pitimpinai,
    Your walkway shot is to drool for! Also really love the melon with the blue-green and lime flower backdrop. What is that?

Sorry, but I have no idea what Alina's yellow NOID is or the third picture from the bottom in my pictures, also a pale yellow. I actually posted a picture of this one last year (its first year) asking if anyone knew what lily - or even what kind of lily this one is.

I bought two mix packages of lilies for this bed of baby daylilies, one of Asiatics and one of Orienpets to add some color and interest while the dls were getting started.

The flower looks similar to some of the pictures on the web of the Orienpet Honeymoon and Honeymoon was available separately from the place that I got the packages. However, it blooms much earlier than any of my Orienpets.

The picture was taken on June 14, 2007 and the first blooms actually opened 5 or 6 days prior to that. At that time only a few of my Asiatics were open. It's now July 3 and although I have buds on my other Orienpets, none have opened yet, and probably won't for another week at least.

My NOID has a nice scent, noticeable from a distance, & is very sturdy, almost stout, with the stalk just barely cuttable with the small hand clippers that I use to cut off the candelabras after bloom. The flowers have a sort of half trumpet shape like lots of Orienpets do.

It does not have the waxy texture or slight fruity scent of the LA Hybrids that I have. The candelabra extends down the stalk almost to the halfway point of the stalk. Unlike Alina's NOID, mine has vertical lines down the similarly shaped leaves.

Anyone have Honeymoon? If so does it look similar to this & most importantly does it bloom early for an Orienpet? Are there any early blooming Orienpets, like a minimum 3 weeks early??

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Thanks, Leslie.
    I love your NOID and Alina's.
    The melon is Buff Pixie, I think. The blue-green plant with lime flower is Ruta graveolen - Rue. It has a rather unpleasant smell. Always gives me a headache in closed area, but the color and form are striking in the garden.

Are your lilies opening up super early this season? All of mine are....all of the flowers, in fact. At this rate, everything will peter out long before August.

• leslie197
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, all my lilies are opening up early this season as well. So are lots of other plants. My first daylily is always Siloam Double Classic and it usually opens the first week of July, right in time for the holiday. This year it opened on June 19th!

• socks
    16 years ago

Breathtaking pictures all. Thanks for taking time to post.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists